Got Economy Class Syndrome? How to avoid Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
|Photo by Sue Frause|
It occurs from sitting in the same position for an extended period of time and strikes one out of every 2,000 people in the general populus. According to the American Heart Association, it affects up to two million Americans every year.
Ames Walker, the oldest and largest compression hosiery online retailer, has developed a public service podcast for travelers. It includes upper body and leg exercises to help prevent blood clots and is available at no charge for consumers to download onto their iPods and MP3 players by clicking HERE. On the website you'll find these helpful tips:
- Avoid alcohol, tea or coffee
- Drink plenty of water or juice
- Avoid wearing tight clothing around the upper thighs and torso
- Wear compression hosiery to prevent blood from pooling in legs
- Walk around the cabin to regulate blow flow.
- Perform in-flight exercises from your seat hourly (described in the podcast)