Fairmont Empress honors Queen Elizabeth's Jubilee
- King George VI and Queen Elizabeth were the first ruling English monarchs to visit Canada and The Empress on May 30, 1939. Photos of their visit are in the hotel lobby.
- Queen Elizabeth II has visited The Empress nearly every decade of her reign.
- The Fairmont Empress has Royal China used exclusively for Royal visits. It's bone white China from England with a 24-karat trim.
- The Empress Tea China was originally presented to King George V in 1914 and first used by The Empress in 1939 for the Royal visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. The pattern is now produced by Royal Doulton exclusively for The Fairmont Empress.
- The portraits in the tea lobby are of King George V and his wife Queen Mary, who originally intended to wed his brother Prince Edward (he died of pneumonia). The portrais have been in place since the hotel's opening in 1908.
- Princess Margaret climbed out onto the hotel roof to watch the Russian satellite Sputnik in the Victoria night sky in 1957.