Saturday, December 26, 2009

Quebec City's funicular celebrates 130th anniversary

Quebec City in Winter 2004. Photo by Sue Frause.

2009 marks the 130th anniversary of the Quebec City Funicular. For two+ centuries, the only way to get from Quebec City's Lower Town to the Upper Town was on foot (either human or horse).

In 1879, William Griffith built the city's funicular railway. Pulled by cables, the two cabins transport passengers on parallel rails from the bottom to the top height of 195 ft. The original funicular was destroyed by fire in 1945 and rebuilt the following year.

You can see the main entrance of the funicular in the photo. It's located in the House Louis Jolliet at 16 Petit-Champlain Street in the heart of Old Quebec. The house was built in 1683 by the architect Baillif for Louis Jolliet, who lived there until his death in 1700. The house was restored in 1978.

No comments:

Burrowing Owl Estate Winery earns Canadian Wine Industry Award of Distinction

Burrowing Owl Estate Winery in Oliver, British Columbia British Columbia's Burrowing Owl Estate Winery was awarded top honors at the 20...