Thanks to Twitter, I just found out that the Celebration of Light opened in Vancouver, BC on Saturday night. The 2012 event features three new countries competing on three different nights, with all shows beginning at 10 PM. The show lasts around 30 minutes.
- Saturday, July 28, Vietnam (click on to see photos)
- Wednesday, August 1, Brazil
- Saturday, August 4, Italy
Owned by the Not For Profit Vancouver Fireworks Festival Society, this year is the 22nd consecutive year of the event. Organizers say it contributes in excess of $39 million in "incremental tourism and hospitality spending" each year. I'm not sure what "incremental" tourism is!
As far as where to view the fireworks for free, here is a PDF of a map that includes the fireworks display area in English Bay. I'll be staying over in Coal Harbour, so will need to walk west at some point and stake out a piece of grass. Organizers say prime viewing areas include English Bay, Kits Point, Vanier Park and other locations around the West End, Sunset Beach and Stanley Park. Here's what they recommend to bring (leave your alcohol at home):
- Blanket - Low Chairs
- Small Speakers - SHORE 104.3FM is simulcasting the fireworks soundtracks
- Smart Phones - Listen to the fireworks soundtracks online and use the site map
- Valet parking
- Live music + fireworks soundtrack simulcast
- Two complimentary welcome drinks + ongoing bar service
- Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and grazing station
- VIP seating | viewing
- Must be 19+ over
Photos of English Bay in Vancouver's West End by Sue Frause