|Creamy BC Spot Prawn Chowder by Chef Chris Whittaker
Whittaker was among 13 Ocean Wise chefs from British Columbia who competed in the ocean-friendly seafood chowder contest at the Vancouver Aquarium on November 20, 2013. His Wild BC Spot Prawn Chowder took first place among the other competitors, including executive chefs from Vancouver's Fairmont and Four Season Hotels, Edible Canada, Coast and C Restaurant.
His dish, Creamy BC Spot Prawn Chowder, featured the classic flavors of smoked pork hock, white wine and thyme, and was finished with a soft boiled quail egg and pork crackling. It's been on the menu at Forage since Whittaker's initial win last year. "This chowder is so popular that I wanted to keep it on the menu," said Whittaker. "I took a chance and used the same recipe for this year's competition, so it will stay on the menu -- at least for this year!"
|Executive Chef Chris Whittaker of Forage
Beer was also an important element of the evening, and Chef Paul Cecconi of Brodo Kitchen and Catering with CodFathers Seafood Market won the award for best pairing: Outlandish Mussel-Saffron Chowder paired with Red Racer ESB beer by Central City Brewers and Distillers.
Judges for the sixth annual event were:
- Guy Dean - Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer, Albion Fisheries Ltd.
- Rob Clark - Co-owner of The Fish Counter and Ocean Wise chef partner
- Chester Carey - Serious Beer program instructor and certified cicerone
- Sid Cross - Food and wine aficionado
- Andrew Morrison - Founder of Scout Magazine
- Tim Pawsey - Food and wine journalist
- Jamie Maw - Food and wine journalist